Thursday, May 23, 2013

Synamatics

I already knew a little bit about Synesthesia from watching weird television shows with my mom. For instance, there was one savant who saw all the numbers as different shapes and could name the first 10,000 digits of the number Pi. It was very fascinating to consider that Synesthesia could help enhance understanding and learning. When David Tammet was talking about different ways of knowing, I interpreted it as being able to see deeper into a world most of us cannot enter. Most people just see numbers but he can see shapes associated with them, or be able to dissect a foreign word better than most of us can. I wonder if many the old theory that humans leave part of their brain unused is true and savants just have more strongly connected neural pathways which leads to their synesthesia. On the topic of cymatics, the first thing I thought of when watching the video was another show I saw with my mom about a blind kid who had learned how to see through clicking his tongue. He used the vibrations from clicking his tongue to visually build the world around him in his mind. Still not 100% sure how it worked but the possibility of other blind people being able to use that technique would be great. I never thought of sound as having possibilities of causing vibrations until I saw it used on the piece of metal. I thought of sound as waves we couldn't see or touch that made no real impact on the world around us. The ability for sound to make patterns on metal does open up a big area of research and I hope they find some cool applications for the discovery. Maybe in five years time they'll be artists who create images in galleries using sound vibrations or x-rays that use sound vibration.

No comments:

Post a Comment