Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Film Manipulation Reflection


The film manipulation done in the cameraless movie assignment was rather fun. I believe I mentioned in one of my last blogs that I was waiting to get to release my inner destruction since, as a projectionist, it’s my joke to protect and not destroy film. With this project being the exact opposite of that, I felt like a maniac on the loose. It was fun to take the physical frames of an already made film, destroy it with bleach, ink, and a lovely exacto knife and get to call it my own. The project related to me as a filmmaker because it allowed me to get to appreciate one of the beginnings of film, 16mm, while destroying it. So I guess you could say this project is what is currently happening to film in Hollywood. The term “film” is now going to be outdated because when this year ends no more 35mm prints will be produced for distribution. Making movies on film will be all but extinct. So, we were destroying film and changing it into our own image the way that studios are getting rid of 35mm to make way for their view of a digital future. I personally think it is a same to get rid of 35mm, but as a projectionist I’m biased because I love working with film, threading film, and the sound of a 35mm projector is probably one of the greatest things in the world to me. This project allowed to appreciate the origins of filmmaking before it dies out forever, I had fun, got messy and tried to make it as visually appealing as possible. I enjoyed the experience but it is a sad thought to me that I probably will never get to do filmmaking the same way again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment